Praying for one’s husband is arguably one of the most important acts of love that can be committed.
The Bible tells us that the fervent, effectual prayer of the righteous man avails much. (James 5:16) What does that mean? In short, prayer changes things. Prayer is powerful. Prayer has impact. And, as wives, prayer is one of our strongest tools to bless our spouses on a daily basis.
Why Pray for Our Husbands?
Husbands have a very blessed, unique role in the home. According to the pattern we see set forth in Scripture husbands are the heads of the home. Husbands hold a special place as leaders of their marriages and their families.
This special role can easily come under attack. As wives, we can submit to our husband’s authority, encourage them in all areas of life, and most importantly pray for our husbands. It is our honor and joy to uphold our husbands before God’s throne of grace.
As well, the Word of God is mighty and powerful. The Bible says Scripture is alive and active. (Hebrews 4:12) So, what could be more powerful than praying the very words of Scripture for our husbands?
15 Bible Verses to Pray for Your Husband’s Faith
- Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9
- Lord, I pray you would endue my husband with your strength and courage. By Your Spirit help him to be free from fear and discouragement of any kind. Help him to know You are with him everywhere he goes!
- Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. Joshua 1:8
- Lord, I pray you would guide him to meditate on Your Word both day and night. Help him to follow the truth of Your Word by the grace You provide that he might be prosperous and successful, a testimony to the world that is watching.
- Trust in the LORD with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6
- Lord, help my husband to trust in you with all of his heart and to not lean on his own understanding. May he acknowledge you in all his ways and may You make his paths straight.
- But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Matthew 6:33
- Lord, let my husband seek first Your kingdom and Your righteousness. Then pour out from heaven an abundant overflow of your provision on him. Be glorified in him!
- But whose delight is in the law of the Lord, and who meditates on his law day and night. That person is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither—whatever they do prospers. Psalm 1:2-3
- Lord, may my husband delight in Your law, and meditate on it day and night. May he be like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. May he prosper in You as He delights in You!
- But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. Galatians 5:22-23
- Lord, let the fruit my husband yields be the good spiritual fruit that only You can produce in him. May he bear the fruit of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Let it be a living and breathing testimony of Your work in our hearts.
- Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-1
- Lord, let my husband rejoice always. May he pray continually. May he give thanks in every circumstance. May he walk in Your will for him in Christ Jesus all the days of his life!
- Do not quench the Spirit. Do not treat prophecies with contempt but test them all; hold on to what is good, reject every kind of evil. 1 Thessalonians 5:19-22
- Lord, by the power of Your Spirit and the grace You provide, help my husband to not quench Your Holy Spirit. Help him to test every prophecy, to cling to what is good, and to reject every form of evil. Help him to be discerning, dividing your word of truth and walking in wisdom daily.
- For we are co-workers in God’s service; you are God’s field, God’s building. 1 Corinthians 3:9
- Lord, help my husband to be a faithful and diligent co-laborer in Your service.
- Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. Matthew 6:34
- Lord, may my husband not worry about tomorrow, but instead trust You with all the cares of this life.
- If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. James 1:5
- Lord, let my husband seek wisdom from you as often as he has need of it. I thank You that You promise to give Your wisdom generously to those who ask it of You. You are a good God!
- The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him. Psalm 28:7
- Lord, be my husband’s strength and shield. Let his heart trust in You alone. May You help him, Lord. I pray his very heart would leap for joy and he would praise You with a song!
- Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it. Proverbs 4:23
- Lord, help my husband to guard his heart, knowing that it is a wellspring of life and from it flows all actions he will take and all things he will do.
- He proclaimed the kingdom of God and taught about the Lord Jesus Christ–with all boldness and without hindrance! Acts 28:31
- Lord, may my husband proclaim Your kingdom and teach about the Lord Jesus Christ will all boldness and without hindrance!
- If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit. Galatians 5:25
- Lord, may my husband live by the Spirit and walk by the Spirit. May he be fully surrendered and totally committed to doing Your will in every moment. In Jesus’ precious name I pray, Amen!
For more on Prayer: